Off I went on my baking adventure again today. On my list of things to make; Whoopie Pies. Let me tell you... theses are EASY to make, really hard to mess up and no one could eat just one. (Ask my uncle D., he couldn't shove them in his face fast enough.) I'm not much of a chocolate girl, but these are divine. Recipe after the jump!
- 1/2 cup shortening (or butter)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour milk (1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tsp vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg whites, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup of shortening and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla and sour milk. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt, stir into the creamed mixture. Stir together the baking soda and hot water then mix them into the batter last. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm but not overbaked. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the filling: In a medium bowl, cream together the 1 1/2 cups shortening with the confectioners' sugar and 1/4 cup of flour until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the milk and vanilla until well mixed, then fold in the egg whites. Sandwich at least 1 tablespoon of filling between the flat sides of two cookies. (I refrigerated the filling after making to ensure it would handle the weight of the top cookie)